Premier Home Inspection service area
Amherst, NH is a town rich in NH History and is home to our office. The town was named Amherst in 1760, in honor of Lord Jefferey Amherst – commander-in-chief of the colonial forces in the French and Indian War. Amherst was also the birthplace of Horace Greely, founder of the New York Tribune. Daniel Webster made his maiden plea as a lawyer in the old Amherst Court House, which has now been converted to a residential home. We had the privilege of inspecting the historic building!

Antrim, NH was settled in 1741 and incorporated in 1777; However, the town did not get its name until 1778 when it was named for County Antrim in Northern Ireland, the native home of the land’s owner Philip Riley. Now largely a residential town, cutlery was the major industry from 1864 to 1989.

Ashland, NH was charted in 1751 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth as the southwestern corner of Holderness and was regranted as New Holderness in 1761. The ‘New’ was dropped in 1816. In 1849 the area became a tourist destination as hotels were developed on Squam Lakes and Squam River when the Boston, Concord & Montreal railroad was constructed.

Auburn, NH was originally a fishing settlement for Native Americans in 1624 and was called “Massabesic.” British settlers arrived in 1720 and the Massabesic settlement was destroyed in the French and Indian War (1754-1763) at which point Chester claimed the land. In 1845 the town became independent and was named from Oliver Goldsmith’s 18th-century poem, “The Deserted Village.”

Bedford, NH was named in 1750 for Lord Russell, the Fourth Duke of Bedford. Bedford has been one of the fastest-growing communities in NH in the last 50 years and is home to the Segway and its inventor, Dan Kamen.

Boscawen, NH was known as Contoocook by the native Pennacook tribe, meaning “place of the river near pines.” In 1760, the Contoocook Plantation was incorporated as a town by Governor Benning Wentworth and was named for Edward Boscawen, a British admiral. The town provided excellent farmland and quickly became known for its apple, pear and cherry orchards.

Bow, NH was named for its establishment along a “bow” in the Merrimack River and was chartered in 1727. The town was known for agriculture. Sawmills and gristmills formed one of the first of the town’s settlements, known as Bow Mills. The original colonists were granted parcels of land from the King of England.

Bridgewater, NH was incorporated in 1788 and the name was chosen because of the numerous settlers from Bridgewater, MA. The town was originally part of New Chester – the area now separated into Bridgewater, Hill, Danbury, and Wilmot.

Bristol, NH was taken away from Bridgewater in 1819. The town derived its name from the extensive deposits of fine sand and clay like “Bristol Sand” used in Bristol, England to raft fine pottery. Here, the stand was utilized to manufacture quality brick, marketed as Bristol Brick.

Brookline, NH is the birthplace of Premier Home Inspection Services, LLC. The name has been changed numerous times throughout history. Originally part of nearby Dunstable, then settled as West Hollis, and eventually named after nearby Brookline MA at the suggestion of town residents in 1798. The town was well known for producing lumber, casks, and charcoal for a number of years.

Campton, NH received its name when the first proprietors built a camp here to survey both Campton and neighboring Rumney when the land was granted by Governor Benning Wentworth in 1761. Original industries included a sawmill, gristmill, a tannery, and a carriage shop, but is now primarily a residential town. Campton was the birthplace of Sylvester Marsh, the engineer who designed and built the Cog Railway to the summit of Mount Washington.

Candia, NH was once part of nearby Chester and known as “Charmingfare” after being settled in 1743. Incorporated in 1763 by Governor Benning Wentworth, the town is thought to have been named after the island of Candia in the Mediterranean Sea. Home to the popular Rockingham Recreational Trail, the old rail bed was part of the Boston & Main Railroad until the early 1980’s.

Canterbury, NH was named for William Wake, Archbishop of Canterbury when the town was first granted in 1727. The area was home to a trading post where the Pennacook tribe came to trade before the town was incorporated in 1741. Canterbury’s Shaker Village was established in 1792 and is a popular tourist attraction to this day.

Center Harbor, NH hosted the first inter-collegiate sporting event in the U.S. – a rowing regatta between Harvard and Yale in 1852 on Lake Winnipesaukee. Situated between Squam Lake and Lake Winnipesaukee, the town separated from New Hampton when incorporated in 1797. Center Harbor has been a popular summer resort for steamboats and stagecoaches and is still home to the MS Mount Washington, the largest boat on the lake.

Chester, NH is one of the oldest towns in NH. The Statistics and Gazetteer of New Hampshire documented in 1875, “In 1719, about eighty persons, chiefly from Portsmouth and Hampton, formed an association, for the purpose of securing a tract of land in the “Chestnut Country”.… On the 8th of May, 1722 the township which had hitherto been called Cheshire, was incorporated under its present name,”

Concord, NH is the capital city of the state of New Hampshire. Did you know? Concord was originally named Penacook when first settled in 1659. Penacook was for the Abenaki work Pannukog, meaning crooked place (or bend) in the river. In 1733 the town was incorporated as Rumford, and then changed to Concord in 1765. We are a frequent favorite as Concord NH Home Inspector.

Deerfield, NH was originally part of Nottingham. Local hunters presented Governor Benning Wentworth with a deer and “Deerfield” became incorporated in 1766. Deerfield was once a thriving farm community and established the Deerfield Fair in 1876. Known as “New England’s Oldest Family Fair”, the event draws huge crowds each year for entertainment related to farming and agriculture, crafts, tractor pulls and livestock, including pig scrambles, horse pulls and alpaca obstacle courses.

Deering, NH was incorporated in 1774 by Governor John Wentworth and named after the maiden name of his wife, Frances Deering Wentworth. In the 1770s a great influx of new settlers from Londonderry, Chester and Amherst moved to Deering to clear hundreds of acres of fields and build roads.

Derry, NH is the fourth most-populous community in the state; however it is still considered a town, and not a city. Derry NH is famously known for being the birthplace of Alan Shepard, the first U.S. Astronaut in space. The town was also home to poet Robert Frost. Named for the Isle of Derry, Ireland. The Gaelic word Diore, which means oak woods.

Dunbarton, NH was originally granted as Gorham’s-town in 1735, and re-granted as Starkstown in 1748, the town was incorporated in 1765 as Dunbarton. The name came from Dunbartonshire in Scotland, hometown to Archibald Stark, a prominent settler. The town claims to be the location of the geographic center of New England, based on a Boston University calculation from 2008.

Francestown, NH was incorporated in 1772 and takes its name from the wife of colonial governor, John Wentworth: Frances Deering Wentworth. For years, the town sat on the only route between Boston and Vermont. Now known as the Francestown Turnpike and/or 2nd NH Turnpike, the toll was one cent per mile for coaches and wagons. Francestown was known for some of the best quality soapstone in the world and was quarried from the early 1800’s until 1912 until blasting during the quarrying process ignited sparks which set two adjacent farms on fire. The farms were burned to the ground and the ensuing legal issues caused the Soapstone company to go bankrupt and abruptly end operations.

Franklin, NH was taken from portions of Andover, Northfield, Salisbury and Sanbornton and the name was adopted in 1820 to honor Benjamin Franklin. Daniel Webster (see also Plymouth and Amherst) was born in Franklin, which is now part of Salisbury. This territory was originally known as the Pemigewasset Village.

Gilford, NH was originally part of Gilmanton when it was settled in 1778. Captain Lemuel B. Mason fought in the Battle of Guilford Court House (North Carolina) in 1781 and retired to Gunstock Parish. The town’s name was later adopted due to clerical error.

Gilmanton, NH was incorporated in 1727 and was first known as Gilmantown as two dozen members of the Gilman family received land grants in the new town. At one time, it was the second largest town in the state, following Portsmouth. The original town was much larger than it currently is, with villages including Belmont, Gilford (Gunstock Parish), Hurricane, Tioga, Factory Village and Lakeport. A parish first called Averytown, the site of an unprofitable iron-mining enterprise, is still known as Gilmanton Iron Works.

Goffstown, NH was originally known for valuable timber and fishing. Incorporated in 1761, the town was named for Colonel Goffe, an English Parliamentarian soldier. By 1812 Goffstown had 20 sawmills, seven grain mills and a cotton factory. In 1995, the band Recycled Percussion was formed by NH’s own Justin Spencer.

Greenfield, NH was originally known as the “Lynedeborough Addition” and settled in 1753 by the Lynde family. Residents petitioned to form a new town in 1791, using the name “Greenfield” to highlight the area’s fertile, level ground.

Greenville, NH was once known as Mason Village. Greenville is one of New Hampshire’s smallest towns and the third-newest town in the state, having been incorporated in 1872. Water from the Souhegan River provided the town’s cotton and woolen goods manufacturing facilities as well as furniture, shoes, twine, flour, lead pencils and tinware. While the mills are no longer in operation, numerous Queen Anne style houses line the streets.

Hancock, NH started as an unidentified settlement along the Contoocook River and was named in 1779 after John Hancock, the first governor of the State of Massachusetts and signer of the Declaration of Independence. Most buildings along Main Street in downtown Hancock are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Hebron, NH was incorporated in 1792 from a portion of the now-extinct township of Cockermouth (Groton), combined with a portion of what was then called West Plymouth. Farming was the primary occupation until other industries developed after the Mayhew Turnpike was built in 1803.

Henniker, NH, originally granted as Todd’s Town in 1752 was eventually named New Marlborough prior to becoming incorporated in 1768 by Governor John Wentworth. The town is named for Sir John Heniker, a merchant from London. It is said that Henniker played a significant role in the development of American Sign Language due to a high rate of congenital deafness. Paintball originated in Henniker in 1981. To date, the town has the distinction of being the only Henniker on earth!

Hillsborough, NH, granted in 1735 by colonial governor Jonathan Belcher as “Number Seven” was originally set up as a defense barrier against attacks. Governor Benning Wentworth granted the town as Hillsborough, named for Sir Wills Hill, Earl of Hillsborough in 1748 before being incorporated in 1772. Hillsborough was the birthplace of Franklin Pierce (1804), the 14th president of the United States (and to-date, the only president from NH).

Holderness, NH was named after Robert Darcy, 4th earl of Holderness. The Squam Lakes were a trade route for the Abenaki natives and was a farming and fishing community, except for the ‘business or flat iron area’ along the Squam River that set off as Ashland in 1868. Tourists in the 19th century discovered the region’s scenic lakes and mountains. They would depart the train in Ashland and board a steamer to travel up the Squam River to visit the hotels lining the shores of Squam Lake. On Golden Pond was filmed in Holderness in 1981.

Hollis, NH is said to be named after Thomas Pelham-Holles 1st Duke of Newcastle. The town was incorporated in 1746 and Governor Benning Wentworth was indebted to Holles for his appointment as governor (Pelham was also incorporated in the same year). Neighboring towns Brookline and Milford were once part of Hollis. There are also ties to Plymouth NH as a number of grantees of Plymouth were from Hollis. In 1820, Hollis had five grain mills, six sawmills, a clothing mill and two taverns.

Hooksett, NH was incorporated in 1822 after being known as Chester Woods and Rowe’s Corner. The town’s name is rumored to have come from a hook-shaped island in the Merrimack River. The river was an important part of transportation for the Amoskeag cotton mills located just downstream in Manchester.

Hudson, NH consists of a total area of 29.3 square miles. Originally part of the Dunstable Land Grant that encompassed the current city of Nashua, as well as the towns of Dunstable and Pepperell, MA, the town was renamed Nottingham West, and then changed to Hudson to avoid confusion with the older town of Nottingham. Some historians say the name came from an early belief that the Merrimack River had been a tributary of the Hudson River, while others believe the area had been explored by Henry Hudson. Hudson’s Alvirne High School is home to one of the largest agricultural-vocational programs in the area, the Wilbur H. Palmer Agricultural and Vocational School. This school features several student-run businesses including a bank, restaurant, store, day care, dairy farm, and forestry program.

Jaffrey, NH was named in 1773 for a wealthy proprietor, George Jaffrey, of Portsmouth NH. The headwaters for the Contoocook River begin in Lake Contoocook, which sits on the border of Jaffrey and Rindge. This is on eo the few rivers in the US that flows in a northerly direction. Jaffrey is also home to Mount Monadnock – one of the most climbed mountains in the world.

Laconia, NH was incorporated as a town in 1855 and then as a city in 1893. The name is thought to have been derived from the old Laconia Company, selling parcel of land during the colonial era. The city has been destroyed by fire twice. The Great Fire of 1860 and the Great Lakeport Fire of 1903.

Litchfield, NH was an area populated by the Abenaki people prior to European settlement. The NH Archaeological Society has located over 30 Native American sites along the shore of the Merrimack River in Litchfield, with artifacts dating back several thousand years. Litchfield was originally known as “Naticook” before being changed to ‘Brenton’s Farm’ in 1729. In 1749, the land was granted to another group of settlers and named “Litchfield” after George Henry Lee, Earl of Lichfield

Londonderry, NH was the second largest town in colonial times. Derry, Windham, and a portion of Manchester were formed from it. The first American Potato was grown in Derry (then part of Londonderry) in 1719, a year after the town was settled by Scots Irish settlers, many of whom were from Londonderry, Ireland.

Loudon, NH was originally formed from territory taken from Canterbury and was named in honor of John Campbell, 4th Earl of Loudoun. Loudon is home to the New Hampshire Motor Speedway which hosts NASCAR events as well America’s Oldest Motorcycle Race, the Loudon Classic.

Lyndeborough, NH was originally known as Salem-Canada as it was granted to settlers from Salem, MA. The name Lyndeborough resulted from a re-grant to a group of people that included Benjamin Lynde, who later became Chief Justice of MA. It is thought that Lynde may never have visited the community.

Manchester, NH is the largest city in New Hampshire and sits on the banks of the Merrimack River. Prior to being rechartered in 1751 as Derryfield, the Pennacook Native Americans called the area Namaoskeag, meaning “good fishing place” in reference to the Amoskeag Falls. Derryfield was renamed Manchester in 1810 and by 1846 Manchester NH was home to the world’s largest cotton mill. It is also claimed that chicken tenders were first made in Manchester’s Puritan Backroom in 1974.

Mason, NH was first known as Number One when the border with neighboring Massachusetts was established in 1739. In 1768 Governor John Wentworth named the town in honor of New Hampshire’s founder, Captain John Mason. Samuel Wilson, a meat supplier, was raised in Mason and is believed to be the inspiration behind the character of Uncle Sam.

Meredith, NH was first known as Palmer’s Town, after Samuel Palmer who laid out much of the land surrounding Lake Winnipesaukee. After being renamed New Salem in 1748 and then regranted in 1768, the name was changed to Laconia after Sir William Meredith, 3rd Baronet. The area is now a popular tourist destination.

Merrimack, NH is a Native American term meaning sturgeon, a type of fish. The Pennacook tribe named the Merrimack River after this fish because of the vast population that once existed there. The Penacook spelled it Monnomoke or Merramake. According to the Merrimack Historical Society, when the town was incorporated in 1746, it took the name of the river and spelled it Merrymac. Since 1970 Merrimack has been home to an Anheuser-Bush brewery and one of five stables for the Budweiser Clydesdales.

Milford, NH separated from Amherst in 1794. It is the retail and manufacturing center of a six-town area known informally as the Souhegan Valley. Located on the Souhegan River, the town is named after the River’s shallow Mill Ford, so called after the many mills at this location in the eighteenth century. Milford was made famous by the granite industry and is known as The Granite Town. Milford is home to manufacturing, information and service-oriented businesses. The town is now known for its antique shops and country craft stores.

Mont Vernon, NH was incorporated in 1803 after it split from the nearby town of Amherst. It is said that the name Mont Vernon derives from Mount Vernon in Virginia, the home of President George Washington. Mont Vernon was a resort town for many Boston residents up until the Great Depression.

Nashua, NH is the second largest city in the state after Manchester and is rich in history. Nashua was twice named “Best Place to Live in America” in annual surveys by Money magazine. It is the only city to get the No. 1 ranking on two occasions—in 1987 and 1998. Incorporated in 1746 as Dunstable, NH the town was renamed in 1836 after the Nashua River. The Nashua River was named by the Nashuway tribe, and in the Penacook language it means “beautiful stream with a pebbly bottom”, with an alternative meaning of “land between two rivers”.

New Boston, NH was incorporated in 1763 and is rich in NH History. Originally granted to several Boston families, New Boston was originally called “Lanestown” or “Piscataquog Township”, but by 1751 they called it “New Boston” after their hometown. The town is known for it’s July 4th celebrations and the legendary Ghost Train, The Piscataquog River, meaning “Place of Deer” winds through New Boston and provides many scenic venues. In 1820, New Boston had more than two dozen sawmills, six grain mills, two clothing mills, two carding mills, two tanneries and a bark mill. It also had 14 schoolhouses and a tavern.

New Hampton, NH was originally known as Moultonborough Addition before being renamed at its incorporation in 1777. The state’s oldest fish hatchery is in New Hampton

New Ipswich, NH was granted in 1735 to 60 inhabitants of Ipswich, MA and incorporated in 1762. The Souhegan River provided water for mills and in 1801 the first woolen mill in NH was established in New Ipswich. The State’s first cotton mill was established in New Ipswich in 1804. The town was also known for cabinet making and elegant furniture.

Pelham, NH was established in 1741 when the border between MA and NH was settled and split from the town of Old Dunstable. The town is named after Thomas Pelham-Holles, 1st Duke of Newcastle. Pelham began as a farming community until World War II. Pelham is home to NH’s oldest double-arched stone bridge, the Abbott Bridge.

Pembroke, NH was first known as Lovewell’s Town and then took the name Suncook – the Pennacook Abenaki name for river flowing through. Upon incorporation in 1759, the name was then changed to Pembroke in honor of Henry Herbert, Ninth Earl of Pembroke.

Peterborough, NH is situated along the Contoocook River. Granted in 1737, settled in 1749 and incorporated in 1760 by Governor Benning Wentworth, the town is named after Lieutenant Peter Prescott. The town was home to numerous cotton and paper mills, an iron foundry, machine shop, carriage factory, basket manufacturing, boot and shoe factories and numerous sawmills. In the 1980’s the town was known as the magazine production capital of the world. Peterborough is home to the first tax-supported free public library in the United States.

Pittsfield, NH was named for William Pitt, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. Pittsfield is home to Globe Manufacturing, a leading manufacturer of protective clothing for firefighters. In 2001, Pittsfield claimed the Guinness World Record for the greatest number of people wearing Groucho Marx glasses at the same time 9522). No other town has attempted to set the record.

Plymouth, NH was originally the site of an Abenaki village that was burned to the ground by Captain Thomas Baker in 1712. The town was first named New Plymouth, after the original Plymouth Colony in MA. Plymouth was granted by Governor Wentworth to settlers from Hollis before the town was incorporated in 1763. Parts of Hebron and Campton were annexed in 1845 and 1860, respectively. Daniel Webster lost his first criminal case at the Plymouth courthouse (now the Plymouth Historical Society)

Rindge, NH was originally inhabited by the Abenaki tribe. Archaeological evidence indicates that the region was inhabited as much as 11,000 years ago! First known as Rowley-Canda, the town was re-granted as South Monadnock and then renamed in 1768 in honor of Captain Daniel Rindge when the town was incorporated in 1768.

Rumney, NH is the hometown of our President, Nick Jette. Rumney was named after Robert Marhsam, 2nd Baron Romney (pronounced Rumney). The town was originally granted by Governor Benning Wentworth in 1761 from Connecticut. In the mid 1800’s, the town was home to fifteen sawmills, a large tannery, and a ladder factory. Rumney is home to the Polar Caves, which are known for their geological views and glowing rock formations as well as Rumney Rocks, a world-famous rock-climbing destination.

Salem, NH is the first town you enter driving North on Interstate 93. Originally known as North Parish of Methuen until the boundary line between Massachusetts and New Hampshire was established in 1741 and was named after nearby Salem, MA.

Sanbornton, NH is located at the fork of the Pemigewasset and Winnipesaukee rivers as was first called Crotchtown. Granted in 1748 to John Sanborn of Hampton. 12 of the 60 grantees were named Sanborn.

Temple, NH was first called Peterborough Slip, which included what is now Sharon, NH. Incorporated in 1786 in honor of John Temple, lieutenant governor under John Wentworth. Glass that was manufactured in Temple Glass Works in the late 1700’s is extremely rare and are sought after collectibles today.

Thornton, NH was incorporated in 1763 and named for Dr. Matthew Thornton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.

Tilton, NH was originally the southern part of Sanbornton and was known as Sanbornton Bridge. In 1869, Sanbornton Bridge set off and became incorporated as Tilton, named after Nathaniel Tilton, founder of the area’s first hotel, the Dexter House. His grandson, Charles Tilton was the community’s wealthiest citizen and donated many statues in town, including the hilltop Memorial Arch located in Northfield.

Wilton, NH was first part of a township that had been charted as “Salem-Canada” in 1735. The land was re-granted in 1749 by colonial Governor Benning Wentworth as “Number Two.” That name didn’t stick for long before the town was officially incorporated in 1762 as Wilton. Historians have been unable to determine if the town was named for Wilton, England, or for Sir Joseph Wilton, a famous English sculptor. Sir Wilton’s coach design for King George III was later used as a model for the Concord Coach.

Windham, NH was home to the Pawtucket Native Americans. When Scottish immigrants began settling the area in 1719, the region was known as Nutfield and included what are now Derry and Londonderry. There is a long-standing disagreement as to whether the town was named after Windham, Ireland, or after Sir Charles Wyndham, 2nd Earl of Egremont.

Weare, NH was granted to the veterans of the Canadian wars in 1735 by Governor Jonathan Belcher and named it Beverly-Canada. After a long dispute, the town was incorporated by Governor Benning Wentworth as Weare, after Meshech Weare, who became New Hampshire’s first governor in 1784 (Earlier Governors were known as Provincial Executives). Much of the town was destroyed by devastating floods in the New England Hurricane of 1938. The village of East Weare had to be abandoned as part of the flood control project and now sits at the bottom of Everett Lake.